Prize Money Top List
How much money can you make playing chess?
- Magnus Carlsen tops the total with more than $2m in prize money since 2017
- Two women (Ju Wenjun and Alexandra Goryachkina) in the top three thanks to the Women's World Championship Match
- The total prize pool for all 2019 tournaments was more than $8,622,047
- The ranking includes most of the major tournaments each year. Non-USD prizes are converted with beginning of year exchange rates
- Strong players have other sources of income in addition to prize money, and often get paid just to participate in tournaments
- If you see any errors, please send us an email 😊